FORTRESS IN BAČ -

Address: Ulica bačke tvrđave, 21420 Bač
Location: Bač Fortress is a very important multi-layered historical site. The fortified castle complex with the suburbium is located on a sharp and deep former meander of the river Mostonga, on elevated ground that was once surrounded by water. The historical ambience today is significantly changed. Construction of the Danube-Tisa-Danube rectified the riverbed of the Mostonga and turned it into a canal, leaving the fortress and suburbium without a water mirror. The fort is now reached from the direction of Bač via a concrete pedestrian bridge, passing through the town gate and the Bačka fortress road, turning to the north at the last row of houses and across the earthen ramp, the site of the former drawbridge, found inside the fortified castle. Vehicular access to the fortress is from the Bač - Vajska road, where the mighty edifice of brick with its tower dominates the fertile plains of Bačka.
Legal status: Bač Fortress was placed under state protection based on the resolution of the Institute for Scientific Research and Cultural Heritage NRS br.1175/48 of 30.7.1948. Bač Fortress, with suburbium, , is categorized as a cultural,and spatial unit of great importance ("Off. Gazette of RS" No. 16/90).
Brief history : The time of construction of the preserved buildings of the fortress has not been sufficiently clarified to this day . The terrain on which it is located is an important archaeological site. In the area of the visible foundation walls of the fortified castle , there was a settlement from the Late Neolithic period - six millennia agowhich remained through the Bronze and Early Iron Age and La Tčne , and there are indications of the presence of Celts in the period of late antiquity in the 3rd and 4th century . The first architectural phase refers to the period 1338 -1342 and the Hungarian King Charles Robert of Anjou . In the mid- 15th century intensive construction and adaptation of new military equipment began as part of strengthening the southern border against the Turkish invasion. From this period stand out personality Istvan Vardaij and Peter Varadi, whose bishop’s residences are located within the walls, and who were responsible for the construction and development of the complex. The Turks conquered the fort in 1529 and used it until the liberation in 1686 , as evidenced by the description of Evliya Çelebi . The fortress was blown up during the Rákóczi uprising at the beginning of the 18th century. The houses in the suburbium were built in the second half of the 18th century .
Summary: Based on the established traces the fortress was in the shape of an irregular pentagon with projecting towers at the corners, connected to each other by extensive rampart walls. There are three conserved angular towers with a circular base, while the North West and the entrancetowers, found during excavations, had quadrangular bases. The only free-standing building inside the fort is the donjon tower, square based, located in the eastern part of the fortress.
Although after blasting the masonry structure of a fortified castle, to a large extent, lost its physical integrity, the preserved elements point to the universal values of the architecture and testify to the application of advanced fortifications of the high Gothic school with elements of the early Italian Renaissance.
Results:
Part A - Research, documentation of
systematic archaeological excavations
documentation of existing condition
materials testing
Research and preparation of project documentation
Component B - technical protection
Donjon Tower - enabled for use as a multi-function educational and visitor center with museum
setting of archaeological material from excavations (by Nebojsa Stanojev)
masonry structures, towers and walls
conservation workshop
Activities to 2015.
Completion of the first phase of the masonry structures
The second phase of work on masonry structures - along with project activities HEROMAT
Completion of the Education Center on the lower level, in Ulica bačke tvrđave 12